Essays and Articles Online
- Cultural Anorexia: Doubting the Decline of Faith in Fiction
- Attending to the Word: Reading as a Spiritual Practice
- Permanence & Progress: How to See the Past as an Icon and Not as a Golden Calf
- Art in a Fallen World (on Thomas Kinkade)
- On Wolf Hall (novel and TV mini-series)
- My Top Five Books That Can Change Your Life
- In God’s Image: Do Good People Make Good Art?
- Through the Eyes of Imagination
- Ever Ancient, Ever New: The Catholic Writer in the Modern World
- Full Circle: Art and Revolution
Book Reviews Online
- The Finishing School by Muriel Spark.
- Michelangelo and the Pope’s Ceiling by Ross King.
- The Character of God: Recovering the Lost Literary Power of American Protestantism by Thomas E. Jenkins.
- The Twilight of the Intellectuals: Culture and Politics in the Era of the Cold War by Hilton Kramer.
- Leonardo’s Incessant Last Supper by Leo Steinberg.
- Exploring the Invisible: Art, Science, and the Spiritual by Lynn Gamwell.
- Father Joe: The Man Who Saved My Soul by Tony Hendra.
- Mariette in Ecstasy by Ron Hansen.
- Original Prin by Randy Boyagoda.
The Intercollegiate Review
In the late 1980s I edited The Intercollegiate Review, a journal published by the Intercollegiate Studies Institute. To find links to a number of the things I wrote in those years, click here. (List of essays, reviews, and lectures is on the right.)